Convenience is my middle name. So whenever I can avoid unnecessary steps, I’m all in. While searching the web for no bake recipes, I noticed a lot of them were cookie recipes.
I have a childhood memory of making cookies with my family, and by the time we got to the second batch I was so done rolling out cookie dough! It was fun the first….. 24 times but after that it just came uneventful. 😉 So I made a conscious decision that I would make these this recipe into a simple no bake bar recipe compared to a no bake cookie recipe. Although you could make these into cookies if you wanted. They turn out fabulous either way. 🙂
I use peanut butter in this recipe, but it can also be substituted for coconut butter. The peanut butter will give it a bit more of a fudge-y taste which I like! But the coconut butter will make the bars a bit firmer.
Oh! Did I mention the topping? 🙂 Raw Vegan Date Caramel Sauce! I think it is a simple way to get the appearance of a caramel, without all the unnecessary ingredients that some other cooked, recipes can bring. It is amazing!!
I found that Bob’s Mill Coconut Flour worked really well for this recipe.
- ½c. medjool dates (pitted and softened*)
- ¼-1/3c. peanut butter (1/4c for less fudgy, ⅓c for more fudgy) or ⅓c. coconut butter
- ⅓c. applesauce (natural and unsweetened)
- ⅓c. coconut flour
- 1t. vanilla extract
- 1t. cinnamon
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Raw Vegan Date Caramel:
- 1c. medjool date (pitted and softened*)
- ¼-1/2c. plant based milk (less milk will result in a thicker caramel)
- Add the Date Caramel ingredients into a food processor and blend till smooth. Scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Set aside.
- Add the dates, peanut butter, applesauce, coconut flour, vanilla, and spices to a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Put the dough into a parchment paper lined square bread pan or 9x9 pan (I used a bread pan for thicker squares).
- Top with the date caramel sauce.
- Refrigerator for 1-2 hours before serving.