I have been on a carrot cake inspiration station lately! Carrots has been going in everything. My breakfast, lunch, and dinner have somehow consisted of carrots. I’m not complaining though. This sweet root vegetable is natures candy to me. I find that the organic carrots are heads and tails sweeter than the conventional.. Maybe its because it isn’t GMO or pesticide sprayed…. just some food for thought. 😉
On the subject of root vegetables, I know some are not as lucky as myself to have access to fresh vegetables. But that doesn’t mean you can’t have them! Thanks to online shopping resources, we have the world at our finger tips. I found this box by Organic Mountain Farms that offers a wide range of different vegetables that get delivered straight to your door! Pretty neat, right? (I personally have not tried this service, but I’m just giving it as a reference.) 🙂
This was an Instagram requested recipe, so of course I had to comply. I have been getting loads of requests for recipes, and I have to say I am loving it! It saves me the step of trying to come up with new ideas. This bowl of carrot cake oats is a healthy dessert breakfast food to get your day started off right.
Although its technically not fall yet, that does not stop me from making these warm and cozy ‘fall’ themed recipes. Now, should I use gluten free quick oats or rolled oats? Great question! I have experimented with both, and believe it or not, I loved both! The quick oats gave it more of that gloppy texture everyone associates with oatmeal. The rolled oats did have more texture though. So, either is great! It just depends on whether you want gloopy or textured oatmeal.
I used about one large carrot in my zoats, but you can vary the amount based on how much of an earthy sweet flavor you desire. You could also add in a scoop of vanilla protein powder for an extra kick of protein, and creamy flavor.
- ¼c. gluten free oats
- 1t. steel cut oats (optional)
- 2-3c. zucchini or yellow summer squash (grated)
- 1 large carrot (grated)
- 1c. water or plant based milk
- 1t. tapioca starch
- 1t. vanilla extract
- 1t. cinnamon
- ½t. all-spice
- ¼t. nutmeg
- ½t. apple pie spice (optional)
- Grated Carrots
- Coconut Flakes
- Splash of Nut Milk (optional)
- Organic Powdered Sugar (optional)
- Plant based Protein Powder
- In a medium sauce pan add the oats, zucchini, carrots, and water. Bring to a bubble over medium/low heat.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes or until it has thickened to a gloppy bubble. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the remaining ingredients.
- Top with suggested toppings.