There has been a lot of debate over the pros and cons of using soy. Some say it raises estrogen levels, some deny it. I have not done enough research myself on this subject to be pro soy, or con soy. Although I can say I am very con GMO. I do not agree with any GMO food, and try to avoid them at all cost. Which is one of the reasons I tend to avoid soy. Why? Because a very large percentage of soy is GMO produced. So whenever I can find a soy free substitute I get very excited!
This simple two ingredient chickpea tofu is a great replacement for a soy tofu! It has amazing texture, and can be flavored however you want it. I simply kept this batch plain by adding a hint of turmeric to give it some color, and salt to bring out the flavor in the chickpea flour. I also love that it is just wholesome ingredients. I know what’s in it, and I can control what I want. 🙂
- ½c. chickpea flour
- 1½c. water (divided)
- ¼-1/2t. turmeric
- pinch of salt
- Line a bread pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan bring ¾c. water to a boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk the chickpea flour, spices, and remaining ¾c. water until combined.
- Pour chickpea solution into the boiling water and whisk continually until thick and glossy. 3-5 minutes.
- Immediately pour the thickened mixture into your prepared bread pan and knock on the counter top to smooth it out.
- Leave on the counter for 1-2 hours to set.
- Serve plain, or sauté in spices for an added depth.