One of the stigmas of eating healthy is that, “Eating healthy is to expensive for me!”. But according to Creative Snacks Co.‘s mission statement, they strive to provide great tasting snacks that are free from cheap, artificial, and harmful ingredients without breaking the bank. As put in their Story, “Better snacks, made from better ingredients. That’s us!”
Creative Snacks Co. offers a wide range of snack-y foods, but not all are vegan, or meet up to my plant-based standards. Luckily they do have a couple mixes that fit the bill to be eligible for review.
I’m going to be talking about two categories. Their Organic Coconut Snacks, and Almond Clusters. My first impression when the bags first arrived was pleasant. No heavy packaging, but felt sturdy and well made. When a company says they make anything with cost effectiveness in mind, one of the first places they skimp out on is the packaging. So far so good.
When dealing with any sort of clusters or bite size snacks, I always look to see if they use High Fructose Corn Syrup. If corn syrup is anywhere on the list, it is immediately put back on the shelf, and I quickly walk in the other direction. (For more information why I don’t agree with HFCS, here is an excellent article.) But instead, they use an organic brown rice syrup to bind all the luscious ingredients together. I personally tried two of the coconut snacks, and three of the almond clusters, here was my opinion of all five.
Organic Coconut Snacks:
Chia, Sunflower, and Pumpkin Seed: (2016 Sofi Winner)
- Ingredients include: organic coconut, organic cane sugar, organic pumpkin seeds, organic sunflower seeds, water, organic brown rice syrup, black chia seeds, sea salt.
- Texture was crunchy, but the sweet glaze made it flexible and soft.
- I loved the kick of coconut flavor that was present with every bite! I would have liked a little less sweetness from the glaze though.
Cranberries, Cashews, Almonds, and Chia Seeds: (2017 Soft Winner)
- Ingredients include: Organic coconut, organic dried cranberries (cranberries, cane sugar, sunflower oil), organic cashews, organic cane sugar, organic almonds, organic brown rice syrup, organic chia seeds, sea salt
- Texture was similar to the one above, but the major difference was the chewiness from the cranberries. It almost became to chewy for the crunchy texture of the coconut flakes. More than one cranberry per bite became WAY to chewy.
- I was slightly surprised that it wasn’t more sweetness because of the added cranberries, but it was almost perfectly balanced between sweet and salty. Flavor Profile spot on!
Cranberries and Cashews:
- Ingredients include: Almonds, dried cranberries (cranberries, sugar, sunflower oil), cashews, sugar, water, brown rice syrup, sea salt
- This goes for all the clusters, a fun crunchy dessert every once and a while. Not to thrilled about sugar being listed twice, but for a special treat on top of some coconut yogurt is nice.
- Texture was a bit more segmented then the coconut snacks. I found more little clusters than large chunks in the bag. It made it easier to access without breaking them into smaller pieces.
- A great balance between the saltiness nuttiness of the cashews, and the sweetness and tang from the dried cranberries.
Cashews, Pumpkin Seeds, and Sunflower Seeds:
- Ingredients include: Almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, sugar, water, brown rice syrup, sea salt
- The pumpkin seeds and cashews were absolutely phenomenal in this mix! I loved the extra hint of earthiness, and lighter sweet flavor. I would totally add this on top a salad.
- I like how the ingredients in these bites are kept whole, and in their natural state. It shows that they are not afraid to hide, and are proud of the ingredients they are using.
Cranberries and Cacao Nibs:
- Ingredients include: Almonds, dried cranberries (cranberries, sugar, sunflower oil), cacao nibs, sugar, water, brown rice syrup, sea salt
- I have a slight obsession with cacao nibs, and these clusters did not disappoint. A perfect balance between the bitterness of the cacao nibs, and the sweet dried cranberries.
- Texture wise, the cacao nibs added a fabulous crunch on top of the snap from the almond slices.
A really solid group on clusters all around. I was very impressed. Would this be on my shopping list every time I go to the store? Nope. I believe these are great once in a while snacks to be used in moderation because of the sweet glaze. Does that mean I may not think about mowing down a whole bag while writing this…. my mouth is drooling. ALSO if they won not one but two Sofi Awards, they must be doing something right. Creative Snacks Co. can be bought on Amazon (Here is the link), or find a retailer at their website (Here’s that link)!
Disclaimer: Striving to keeping this blog free, and filled with awesome new products and companies, this post was sponsored, or contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation, or was provided with sample products.