Usually the only time you see hemp in the news is with politicians trying to implement laws with how people should use the plant, or hippies taking advantage of the plants effects on the brain. But what people forget is that hemp is so much more than just a substance that people seem to abuse. It can be used for paper, clothing, biodegradable materials, biofuel, and most importantly, food! Evo Hemp has (luckily for us) noticed that hemp has so much more to offer.
Evo Hemp is a USA based company (Go USA!) that uses not only hemp, but nuts, seeds, fruits, and other whole foods to complete their line-up of protein packed bars, powders, and snacks. As hemp is becoming a common occurrence, and a bit of a trend, its harder to find companies that truly care about their product, and not corporate companies trying to flood the market with a low quality fad products. I was impressed at the quality, and time that was put not only in their food, but in the communication I had with them, and their marketing and packaging division. I could tell they are in the game for the long hall.
I can say that I was also impressed by their “mission statement” if you will. Straight from the Evo Hemp team, they say (and I quote),
“We believe hemp is the keystone to evolution. We believe in supporting the small U.S. family farm. We believe in local food systems offer potent sources of community revitalization. We believe family farmers should be recognized as a key resource in solving the surmounting economic and environmental challenges facing our nation. We believe in the pursuit of liberty.”
Evo Hemp Bars:
- Pineapple Almond: First bite, WHAM! I could tell I was eating a pineapple bar of some kind. It was sweet, yet very tangy. I liked having little bits of dried pineapple among the almond bits. The texture was moist, but almost a bit to loose for me. I would liked to have had a bit more mouth feel to accompany the flavor.
- Mango Macadamia: From the moment I peeled back the wrapper, I knew I was in for a ride. There before my eyes was a HUGE slice of dried mango. I was in bliss. It wasn’t like that cheap sweetened jerky like crap you get at the grocery store, this was high quality, melt in your mouth mango. Yum!.. If only I could have tasted the macadamia a bit more.
- Apple Pecan: Did Grandma forget the recipe and make an apple pecan pie? I was taken back to the moment when I take a pecan pie or apple crisp out of the oven, and the smell of warmth and sweetness hits my nose. That is what this bar encompasses. Its hearty and reals of cinnamon (in a good way). I also loved how they snuck some turmeric in there for some extra oomph.
- Cherry Walnut: If you adore dried cherries, you will like this bar. Whole dried cherries are everywhere in it. Which is great at their generosity, but it overwhelmed the other flavors in the bar. I could only get cherry, with just a baby bit of walnut. I also thought it was a little to soft for my taste.
- Cashew Cacao: This bar surprised me. I was expecting an average, “Here’s your cacao, and cashew flavor.” type bar. This was anything but. Yes the cacao and cashew was there, but I got a pleasant fruitiness that I was not expecting! I looked at the ingredients and there they were, blueberries! That was genius. It fit so well with the nuttiness and chocolate.
- Cacao Dragon: Holy chocolate moly! It was so decadent with a touch of fruitiness and nuttiness (I love the Brazilian nut taste), but there was something else. Something that made this bar unlike others I had tried. Something a little, funky? Not in a bad way, but in a curious way. What was it? Algae! Yes, blue-green algae. They really are trying to replenish your DHA+EPA omega 3 fatty acids with this bar. Uniquely, I liked it.
Evo Hemp Snacks:
- Garlic Herb: For all the snacks as a whole, I loved the little disc sized bites! Perfect for adding as a topping, or eating straight out of the bag. I appreciated the Garlic Herb very much. I am slightly obsessed with garlic lately, and this really hit the spot. Hearty and garlicky, with hints of onion and a little funk from the kelp. Aesthetically, not very pleasing. But that didn’t bother me.
- Barbecue: I don’t like barbecue. This one especially. Do you know why? Because its to lifelike! It is almost like I took a bite of animal with a lot of barbecue seasoning. So did they hit the nail on the head with this flavor? Absolutely! If you like that barbecue flavor, you will adore this snack. Unfortunately, not for me.
- Cinnamon: To start, perfect topping for yogurt. It’s so crunchy with a hint of sweetness and warmth from the cinnamon, it would pair perfectly with a coconut yogurt, or simply pour into a bowl and top with cashew milk! I could just keep eating them. Not to sweet, and not to savory. Just the right balance.
Hemp Protein + Seeds:
I loved the little single serving packages they sent me! It is perfect for a single soul. 🙂
- Hemp Protein: Not only exclusively for smoothies, they recommend adding it into a pesto or hummus even for a boost. I liked how it wasn’t incredibly chalky, or seed-y. With seed based powders, they tend to have a very strong taste. Not here. It was a nice balance that didn’t interrupt the flavor or texture of whatever it is put into.
- Hemp Seeds: Can I say perfect high quality? This product right here is the foundation of Evo Hemp’s entire business. And I was blown away with the quality of the seeds they use. Fresh. That is the one word I can use to describe this product. Simple as that.
The main feeling I took away from this company was the attention to detail of products. Simple, and minimal products were used (I noticed that especially in the bars), and it felt as if nothing was added or diluted for some obscure reason. The only downside I had was the texture and look of some of the products. Flavor and ingredient wise, I stand behind them 100%. If you would like more information, I encourage you to head on over to Evo Hemp’s Website. Thanks for reading! 🙂