Recovering from an eating disorder is never easy. I wish I could say that I am getting all the calories and nutrients I need right now, but its not true. During this transition in life, I need a little boost. That is why health bars are essentially vital for me right now. They provide a complete source of protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats. But like anything in life, if I’m going to eat something even minimally processed, it needs to be at a higher level of excellence. So on the pedestal today, I am reviewing Zing Bars…
Right from the start, Zing Bars had a vision. Created by four nutritionists who knew something needed to change in the food system, they took action. Below is the beginning of their mission statement.
“We know what we put in our body has a direct impact on our minds, moods and bodies. As professionals, we’ve dedicated ourselves to the life-changing benefits of nutrition and it’s this passion that created Zing Bars. Our mission is simple: to vitalize life with great nutrition.
Our modern lifestyles push us to the edge, leaving us without the vigor we enjoyed in our youth. Intelligent nutrition is the tangible, practical solution to reclaiming our energy. To thrive, we need good protein to build muscle tone, good carbs to regulate blood sugar, good fats to support cell, brain and heart function, and good fiber to promote digestive health.”
Although all their bars are not vegan, the majority are! So what did I think of them? Well….
Dark Chocolate Zing Bars:
- NEW Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond: Have you ever had one of those cherry truffles dunked in dark chocolate? This would be it’s healthier cousin. I accidentally had my hot rice bag near it before opening.. So the chocolate shell was a little runny. My bad! But the contrast of tart, sweet, and nutty was delightful. Packed with 11g. of high quality plant based protein, and 6g. of healthy fats, it kept me satisfied and energized throughout the morning.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip: The texture was super soft with a bit of chew, the crunchy chunks of peanuts, and those chocolate chips just melted in my mouth. I give it a 10/10 for mouth feel. The peanut flavor was balanced, and just savory enough to compliment the chocolate. I will say it again, I am a sucker for nuts and chocolate.
- Dark Chocolate Coconut: I didn’t melt the shell on this one! 😉 It was stupendous. Just enough of a crack of dark chocolate before I sunk my teeth into a vast array of flaked coconut and chocolate dough. Nothing artificial, and I could taste that with the pureness of the coconut. It didn’t leave a sickly sweet flavor, but just that fresh burst of the tropics. But it was nicely paired with the chocolate to share the spotlight.
- Dark Chocolate Hazelnut: I don’t get many opportunities to try hazelnuts, so when the opportunity arises, I jump at it. It was incredible! I tasted the nutty hazelnut, the dark chocolate, a bit of coconut, and whole lot of love. It remained me of a candy bar. Very rich and sweet. It will not be a daily go-to for me because of the sweetness, but a dessert every once and a while, yes sir!
Soft Cookie Zing Bars:
- NEW Maple Pecan: Did I just jump into a maple cabin in the backwoods of Michigan? Pure maple candy. It was delicate, and moist, and sweet, and oh so yummy! Like a pecan pie into a healthy protein packed bar. I was instantly warmed, and comforted by this bar. Again, like the Hazelnut, a bit to sweet for my taste.
- Coconut Cashew Crisp: You know how I mentioned that rich coconut taste in the coconut bar above? Take what I said, and multiply that by 100. By far the best coconut bar I have had EVER! It was so refreshing and creamy, that I couldn’t help but smile. Cashew was an excellent pairing for the coconut.
100 Calorie Bars:
I’m not going into so much detail with these smaller bars, for the fact the two of them I have already talked about above. But I will spend a bit of time on the remaining two. 🙂
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip: Think a oatmeal cookie dough with chocolate chunks and flakes of sweet fruit. Mildly reminiscent of the homemade warm cookie, but still hearty and comforting. I would have loved more oat flavor and less sweetness.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip: For more information on this bar, reference the full length review above under, “Dark Chocolate Zing Bars”
- Dark Chocolate Mint: Free from all top 8 allergens! That is where I’m starting with this bar. After that, it honestly was not my favorite. I really enjoyed the strong bite of peppermint, but found the crack on the dark chocolate to be weak, and didn’t feel the flavors meshed very well. If something is going to be coated in chocolate, “I NEED MY BITE!” 😉
- Coconut Cashew Crisp: For more information on this bar, reference the full length review above under, “Soft Cookie Zing Bars”
Wow! That was crazy, I felt like I was eating a lot of candy bars! Which feels ok up to a point. As a whole, I feel they were on the edge of being to sweet, and being a healthy/not so healthy bar (because of the use of Dutch Alkalized Cocoa Powder, and Sweeteners). But on the other hand, the Coconut Cashew Crisp Bar was my absolute favorite coconut bar I have ever tasted! I will be buying this again and again! If you liked what you saw, I highly encourage you to check out Zing Bar’s Website for more flavors and information. Thanks for reading! 🙂