The older I’m getting, the more I’m realizing that life is to short. So if that means I’m selfish because I don’t want to spend an hour in front of a hot stove to make snacks for on-the-go, call me selfish baby! 😉
These little bliss balls of joy were the brain child of a craving for oats… but not wanting to spend 30 minutes whipping up a bowl. They are simple, easy, and almost fool proof.
I used no nut butter, so they are also lower in fat! (Not to say the right fats are bad for you, its just to much of a good thing can be to much of a good thing.) I added a good amount of hemp seeds because, A. hemp is awesomely nutty. and B. because over 25% percent of their total calories are from high-quality protein (can I say vegan protein for the win?!). 🙂
I found that a food processor worked better than my Vitamix in this recipe because I liked the added chunks of dates it kept in the balls.
You can coat these in anything your heart desires. I used oats, coconut, and also left some plain!
- Energy Balls:
- 1c. medjool dates (pitted and halved)
- 1c. gluten free rolled oats
- ¼c. hemp hearts
- 1T. ground flaxseed
- 2-3T. plant based milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- coconut flakes (for rolling)
- rolled oats (for rolling)
- In a food processor pulse the energy ball ingredients until combined and sticking.
- Roll into tablespoon sized balls.
- Leave plain, or roll in coconut or oats.
- Store in refrigerator.