My Mom is really the inspiration for this recipe. She is what some may call a ‘soup fanatic’. All day, everyday, if she could, she would be having soup. And honestly I cannot blame her! I find it very comforting to have a big bowl of steamy soup on a cold day. It warms you from the inside out!
This soup recipe is 100% whole food based. Meaning, throw vegetables into a pot, let it cook down, and blend till smooth. No milks, flours, or thickeners. 100% natural, 100% delicious!
I like to roast my cauliflower and butternut squash before hand because it adds a smokey and heartiness to the soup that it can lack if not utilized. I have not tried it without roasting them, but if you do, let me know how it goes!
I simply topped this soup with a touch of natural coconut cream. That slight tang makes the rustic-ness of the soup really pop! You could even add a touch to the soup itself if you are desiring a more creamy soup. 🙂
- 3-4c. roasted cauliflower (roughly chopped)
- 2c. roasted butternut squash (roughly chopped)
- 2c. tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (de-seeded and chopped)
- 1 onion (thinly sliced)
- 3c. vegetable broth (100% natural and organic if possible)
- 1c. water
- 1t. cinnamon
- 1t. cumin
- 1t. dried basil
- salt + black pepper
- Coconut Cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roughly chop the cauliflower and butternut squash, and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes, flip, and bake for another 25 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In the meantime, saute the onion over medium low heat for 8 minutes. Add in remaining ingredients including the roasted vegetables.
- Cover and simmer down for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and serve warm topped with coconut cream.